The lesson on intelligence presents the range of intelligence quotient scores in relation to the Normal Distribution and discusses the extremes of intelligence on either side of the curve. While we hear a lot about ‘gifted and talented’ programs in school, we don’t hear much about it after one graduates from high school or college. For this assignment, you will visit a website devoted to an organization for people solely with high I.Q. scores. You will then submit your own thoughts on intelligence in general as well as what you’ve learned about this group.
- Visit the “Mensa” website (http://www.mensa.org). Explore the various links and read about its mission, who it serves, qualification for membership, etc.
- Provide a summary of what you’ve found and your thoughts on the organization.
- Next, discuss your own views on intelligence – what were your thoughts on the various theories presented in the textbook/lesson? Be sure to link material you’ve learned in this lesson to demonstrate your ability to appropriately apply information.
- Your summary should be comprehensive and more than just a paragraph in length. It should demonstrate thoughtful dialogue and critical thinking.
- You must cite all of your sources appropriately in APA format and include references.
Several years ago, Lenore Skenay made headlines when she submitted an editorial detailing an experience that she granted her son. Access the following:
- The editorial: 9 Year Old Rides Subway Alone
- The website: Free Range Kid
- If you are unable to access the links use Google to search for the article.
- After having read the textbook and viewing these additional readings, reflect on your own thoughts about this.
- Summarize, in general, what this mom did. Then, provide your own opinion. You are free to voice whatever opinion you have, but make sure you back it up with support from our text or other sources (make sure you cite your source). (This is worth 20 points)