Review Chapters 1 and 2 in the course text, as well as the Multicellular organisms and their nervous systemsand Discovering the human brain: New pathways to neuroscience, with Susan Bookheimer, Ph.D videos screencast on how to access and use this resource, and how to cite and reference the DSM-5.
Select a neuropsychological disorder for comprehensive analysis from the following list. Your selection of topic should be based on your personal or professional experience, or your own academic or personal interest in the topic. Be sure to use current terminology from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual 5 (DSM-5).
Please select your topic from the following list:
• Major depressive disorder
• Bipolar disorder
o Choose and focus on one of the anxiety disorders (g., generalized anxiety disorder or social anxiety disorder).
• Post-traumatic stress disorder
• Obsessive-compulsive disorder
• Substance use disorder (substance abuse and addiction)
o Provide both an overview of this topic plus a focus on a single drug of your choice.
• Neurodevelopmental disorder (autism spectrum disorder or attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder)
• Neurocognitive disorder
o Choose and focus on one of the neurocognitive disorders (g., one of the dementias).
• Neurological disorder
o Choose and focus on one neurological disorder (g., multiple sclerosis, spina bifida).
• Sleep-wake disorder
o Choose and focus on one of the sleep-wake disorders.
• Feeding and eating disorder
o Choose and focus on one of the feeding and eating disorders.
• Sexual dysfunction or gender dysphoria
o Choose and focus on one of the conditions in these categories.
• Other neuropsychological disorder found in the DSM-5 but not on the list above
o This option must be approved in advance by the instructor before your assignment is submitted.
The emphasis of this paper should be on the neuroscience aspects of the disorder you selected.
In this paper, please be sure that the following aspects of your topic are discussed:
• Explain the theories of etiology (causes) with a focus on the neurobiology of the disorder.
• Explain associated factors in development of the disorder (genetic, environmental, familial, lifestyle).
• Describe the pathology of the disorder with an emphasis on the abnormalities of nervous system structure and function, including any genetic and biochemical aspects.
• Give examples of treatment options, including both drug (pharmacological) and non-drug (nonpharmacological treatments), with rationales for use of these treatments based on current understanding of the neurobiology of the disorder.
• Summarize diagnostic and research technologies employed in clinical diagnosis, clinical and behavioral health care, and basic science research.
Please research your topic and obtain a two page paper scholarly and/or peer-reviewed sources published within the last five years. These sources should provide evidence-based information regarding the biological and psychological features of the disorder, with an emphasis on the neurobiology of your selected topic. Be sure to cite your sources in your paper and include them on your references page. You may utilize required or recommended course materials in your work, but these will not count towards the reference requirements; however, you may cite and reference the DSM-5 as one of your sources used for the grading credit.
• Must be two double-spaced page in length (not including title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style
• Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Title of paper.
o Student’s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted